Saturday, July 25, 2020

A Change in Tide by Freya Barker

Sportochick's Musings ~ How the author handles everyone's messy life is believable and so realistic it's remarkable to read.


A Change in Tide

Northern Lights #1

by Freya Barker


Publisher ~ Spectrum Audio
Narrators ~ Charley Ongel, Tor Thom
Genres ~ Contemporary Romance



What impact would it have when everything suddenly faded to black?

For Mia, a crowded subway ride changes her entire life. Retreating to the wilderness helps her cope with a world that is suddenly too loud, too turbulent.

Her existence safely contained to the small cottage on the lake, she is unprepared for the neighbor that moves across the bay

A career-ending injury has Jared permanently benched. His reputation as The Enforcer won’t survive the unanticipated responsibilities awaiting him.

Away from the public eye, he adjust to his new reality, under the quiet observation of the intriguing hermit on the other side of the water.


This is the first time I have read or listened to this author and it is apparent she knows how to write a book dealing with emotional issues is a responsible manner. I was able to feel Mia's fear like they were my own. And quite honestly, I can't imagine living frozen and fearful like that for the rest of my life like some people do. Mia's character was hard for me to connect with because I have never felt the things she did so I couldn't relate to her till halfway through the storyline. Don't get me wrong.... her character was well written I just had nothing in my life that I could compare it to and create an instant connect with.

As for Jared's position I know the feeling of losing one's career due to an injury and know how it feels to be lost about the next move, so for me the author did an outstanding job in this area of her storyline. His care for his sister and her situation was so admirable and watching him change was very rewarding.

How the author handles everyone's messy life is believable and so realistic it's remarkable to read. Her ability to transition three people who felt powerless to people who were powerful survivors was remarkable.

I will have to say that the only area I got stuck was with the narrators. The transitions between male and female and all the different characters didn't always feel smooth to me. I am looking forward to the next audiobook in this series.


Received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review.



A Change in Tide #1 - My Review
A Change of View #2 - My Review



   Website | Twitter | Goodreads | Facebook | Instagram  | Wordpress


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the amazing review!
    Much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Freya. I look forward to another book by you.

      Delete