Friday, February 26, 2016

Book Blogger Hop: Feb 26 - March 3 Find out how I answered the question

Book Blogger Hop
The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly hop hosted by Rambling of a Coffee Addicted Writer

Rules

1. Post on your blog answering the weekly question.
2. Enter the link to your post in the linky list found on Rambling of a Coffee Addicted Writer. (enter your Blog Name and the direct link to your post answering this week’s question. Failure to do so will result in removal of your link).
3. Visit other blogs in the list and comment on their posts. Try to spend some time on the blogs reading other posts and possible become a new follower.  The purpose of the hop is to give bloggers a chance to follow other blogs, learn about new books, befriend other bloggers, and receive new followers to your own blog.

This week’s question is submitted by Elizabeth at Silver’s Reviews!

Feb. 26th - March 3rd: Do your children, siblings, or other family members enjoy reading as much as you do?

Oh my goodness the stories I could tell. 

We were very poor growing up but my mom made sure we had library cards. We would go to the library and take out as many books as we could and read very fast so we could go get more. Also my younger sister Tania and I use to hide under our blankets or in the closet with flash lights reading Nancy Drew and the Hardy Brothers late into the night. In later years my sister Tami became a crazy reader like us and now she reads as much as I do.

Mom spent all our extra money on books because she didn't want us to be illiterate. When she got alzheimer's and I had to take her to a memory home we donated 2,000 hard back books to the public library. Two years later when she could no longer read or remember us we donated another 200 paperback books keeping special books for my sisters Tami and Tania.

When I was very young my gram had tons of books and I got to spend two weeks every summer with her. I would read every Readers Digest book and any new book I could get my hands on. To this day that two week span is my fondest memory of time spent with her.

When I was pregnant I read to my stomach and later to the children so by the time they entered school they were reading at a advanced level. My amazing daughter LOVES to read and in fact she is an aspiring YA writer. She has been writing seriously since she graduated from college and while she worked in movies in Hollywood. My son reads but is not crazy like we are but he reads his bible everyday. 

Friday night my husband and I have date night at Barnes & Noble. He wanders around as much as me and is always picking up one book or more. You will find us everyday sitting in our front room reading.

When I am working at the local theatre there are 3 other ladies I sew with. We are all avid readers and spend everyday discussing what we are reading and recommend books to each other.

Kathy, my BFF since we were 12 years old, reads a lot. She carries a paperback in her purse and two in her car so she always has a book.

As you can see I am surrounded by readers. I believe that a reader shows those around them how much joy reading brings them and by their sharing they create an excitement in others to do the same.

Smiles sprinkled with joy,
Teri


~ Find Sportochick At ~






19 comments:

  1. OMG, what a WONDERFUL answer! I LOVE all your stories! It must be so gratifying to be in a family of readers. And your husband shares the passion for books, too! You are SO blessed!! Oh, I can't help but envy you.... My hubby doesn't share my love of books and reading. He'll drop me off at Barnes & Noble, and then either wait in the parking lot, smoking a cigar and surfing the Net on his phone, or go over to a Sports Authority store nearby to look at sports equipment. Oh, well...

    My two sisters are not readers, either, but our Mom is. She doesn't read as much now as she used to, though.

    Thanks for sharing your great memories!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. Reading is an escape as well as a learning tool that I enjoy very much.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful story and your mother sounds like an amazing woman! My husband and I used to do Barnes and Noble as a date night quite a bit and it was such fun. We don't do it as much anymore with little kids but I can definitely see it reappearing in a few years. That's fantastic about your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my children were napping I would read and after my husband went to bed at night I would read some more.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful story, Teri.

    You are so lucky.

    My husband could care less about books, but he does love that I am so happy with my reading and is excited that I enjoy my books so much. :(

    Have a good weekend.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Elizabeth. A supportive husband is very helpful. I have a friend whose husband complains all the time that she reads too much! That would not work for me.

      Delete
  4. That's awesome you are surrounded by so many avid readers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by tonyalee and I agree with you on how lucky I am to be surrounded by so many readers.

      Delete
  5. Such an amazing answer, I got chills reading! So sad about your mom, but what an AMAZING job she did raising you and your sisters that you all have kept alive the love of reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lulu she did do an amazing job. It amazing how many times books helped me to see another way of living and gave me hope to change.

      Delete
  6. Visiting from the Book Blogger Hop!

    I can definitely feel the reading love in your post, Teri! DH and I have been trying to get back into 'dating' each other, as we've spent very little time alone together since the kids came along. So, I might have to 'borrow' your B&N date night idea! ;)

    Here's my Book Blogger Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would also go out to Panera fro dinner first the Starbuck's later to talk over our finds.

      Delete
  7. You have such a wonderful story about the importance of books to you, your past and your family. It was touching and honest. I love the fact that your mother pushed for you to read. I wish my mother would have been involved in my reading as a child. She reads, a lot actually, but there's a huge disconnect between us. One that even a mutual love for reading can't bridge.

    Great job and I'm so happy to hear that you have so many people to share your love of reading with.

    Thanks for stopping by earlier. Old follower.

    Kristine @ The Writer's Inkwell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sad for your disconnect with your mom but also can understand it. In a way I have a different kind of disconnect... I have some acquaintances who read but they are quite snobbish and don't like to discuss what I read because it is below them and some they consider inappropriate to write and to read. Hum no comment ;)

      Delete
  8. Hi,
    I'm the only reader in my family. My sister will pick up a book now and then. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Sherrie. So how great is it that you get to meet more people like us via the internet...

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful story! We didn't have a lot of money growing up either, and so my mom would take us to the library every week. I feel lucky to be from a family of readers and to be a part of one now. I'm hoping my daughter will share in my love for books as she grows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom sounds great and I agree about feeling lucky to have your family read as well. Hopefully your daughter will share your love of reading.

      Delete