Thursday, March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW with Author and Cover Artist Willsin Rowe


Welcome Willsin Rowe ~ Erotician and cover Artist........
i have read and reviewed several of your books with two of you books impacting me so profoundly that they have been added to my All Time Favorite Books. So let's share who you are with my readers. 

(Readers don't forget to scroll down to the bottom of the article for my reviews of his books and some of his cover art)


If we were to sneak up on you writing what would the scene look like?
Oh, nothing too special or challenging. Structurally and geographically its generalized chaos because my desk is right in the heart of the housein the corner of the dining room and butting up against the open plan kitchen! I live in the sub-tropics where the summers are long and the winters are springs, so the scariest thing youd see would be my naked torso!

As for the writing process well that would depend on whether Ive been a good boy and turned off my wi-fi! Mostly I get ideas written out by using Write Or Die (a timed, punishment-based writing app), and do the refinement later. So I suppose youd see me typing really quickly, and mouthing the words as I type them, with the occasional head-smack or pause-and-snack break.


Which came first the author or the cover artist?

I was an author for three unproductive years before I began making cover art. I say unproductive because I was still finding my feet and only produced two books in that time. But I’d been drawing and writing from an early age. I focused on art in high school, but never stopped idly writing stuff —usually humorous works.

Writing took precedence when I realized I had more skill with words than with creating visuals. (And even though Im better-known for my cover art, I still do think writing is my stronger skill. Its just not as well-known.)


When did you know you wanted to be an author?
Oh, since back when my age matched my shoe size! Seriously, I was writing stuff in Grade 3 which earned praise, and the buzz it gave me to put words together like that was addictive. I remember at 10 years of age having a discussion with my grandfather about it which segues nicely into the next question!


What obstacle did you have to overcome to make this happen?
The discussion at age 10 which I had with my grandfather was indicative of the kind of obstacle which gets put in front of authors. When he asked me what I wanted to do I told him I wanted to be a writer. You cant do that. Youll starve. Anyone who strives to achieve in a non-standard career such as the arts, or even those with a business idea which hasnt been tried before, know the potential sting of those comments. The main step that really needs to be taken in those cases is simply to remember that if theyre a friend or family member, they probably mean well but dont understand. If theyre a stranger or casual acquaintance, then what they think of you, and what youre doing, is none of your business.


What is one thing you'd like your readers to get from your books?
More than anything, I love the idea theyll have a visceral response to my words, and the concepts they represent. Perhaps even be left breathless for a short while. Its something you rarely, if ever, know as an author, unlike as a stand-up comedian for example. But to find out Ive built a sentence, or a paragraph, which has evoked an emotional response in a reader is magical.


Two of your books made a huge impact on me and are my All Time Favorite Books.

CHECK IT OUT
1. When you wrote This, I Can Do I was so deeply moved and my opinion of my body was profoundly affected. To this day I remember this book above all books I have read and it still brings tears of joy to my eyes. What brought you to the point of writing about this subject?
Firstly, it still touches me deeply to hear you say that. I feel blessed as an author to have readers who understand my work so deeply, and who hold it so dearly.

It was a range of elements, really. Firstly, Id ventured into the concept of writing erotic romance featuring a long-term couple with children back in 2007. It was raw, and it was more like flash fiction, but within that story I made certain to highlight certain aspects which, at least at that time, were not staples of romantic heroines. Extra flesh. Stretch marks. Wrinkles. The changes wrought by time and child-bearing. The marks of development which add visual interest (and to me, sexiness) to a womans body.

So with This, I Can Do, I dipped into the same pool. Ive received great feedback for the story because its told in the heroines point of view, and because it touches on so many of the elements were all taught to feel insecure about: getting bigger, getting older, losing our carefree nature. In a society which still worships young slenderness, its easy to lose sight of the importance of experience and experiences. I wanted to do a little to redress that imbalance.

CHECK IT OUT
2. In your paranormal erotica book, Indigo, you have some beautiful musical scenes between Indigo and Ray. Your musical visionary between a musician and her instrument brought about all the longings and desires invoked via music.  Are you a musician because I seriously went to uTube to listen to the music described in this book?
I am a musician, actually. Music was what introduced me to my wife, in fact! Ive played bass guitar in bands since 1988, but I also did some study of music in 88-89 (the course where I met Mrs. Willsin). The inspiration for weaving the music, and the instrument, into the story so intensely came from the simple fact that music can hit people so hard emotionally, with or without words. Some of the classical works which have become almost clichés thanks to movies can still draw such a deep emotional response from me that its almost embarrassing at times! Beethovens Ninth Symphony, for example. It has been abused for decades now for comedic purposes or in ways which work because theyre inappropriate (such as the Die Hard films). And the main motif is so simple as to be almost child-like. Yet to me, thats exactly why it hits so hard. It infuses straight to your bloodstream.

Also, Ive seen first hand how the right combination of player and instrument becomes something stronger than a marriage, and closer to an obsession. Though its almost metaphorical the relationship Indigo has with Ray, her viola, was vital to the flow of the story. And could also be a big part of what might yield a sequel!


Can you share what this year will look like as far as new books and cover art coming out?
I set specific goals at the start of the year. 1) to write words every single day (so far, so good!). 2) to write 500,000 raw words this year (being a leap year will help a tiny bit heh). There are others but those were the two essentials.

I hope to get at least six titles out under this name, and perhaps some more under my female pen name, Abi Aiken (which I only now use for co-writing).

Cover art well, thats a pretty busy part of my life. Im still making covers for the amazing Milly Taiden, and expect Ill probably pump out a couple dozen more for her before the year is out (the woman is a writing machine!) Ive also just started working with Elle Thorne on a few series of covers, so those should keep me nice and busy. And some other authors who are just starting out, or who have only been publishing for a year or two, like Sassie Lewis and Chandra Crawford. Its exciting to have a range of work to go on with, in several genres.


What is the most unusual thing about you that others dont know and you are willing to share?
I dont know if its hugely unusual, but I also do a lot of writing just for fun. Often puerile or silly. I have a small collection of ribald poems Im planning to publish (including one in the style of Dr. Seuss!) Ive presented some other word-play-based writings on Facebook over the past six months, too. I used to post a school run song every day. When I was about to head out to get my sons from school, Id copy the lyrics to a popular song and then alter them to reflect the fact I was heading out on the school run. People would then guess what song it was. I also posted wankerised lyrics”–the lyrics from a well-known song, re-worked into the most convoluted form possible. My friends would then try to guess what song it was.

Oh, and I can lick my own elbow.


REVIEW


REVIEW
REVIEW



REVIEW

(Readers keep Scrolling Down the Page for some of his Cover Art)


I fall in love with a scent, a playful expression or an act of casual intimacy more easily than with physical beauty. When confronted by any combination of those I am a lost cause.

I have done many things over and over. I have done even more things only once. I have half-done more things than I care to admit.
I don't yet know if I can ski, speak Italian or keep calm in a life-threatening situation, but I have my suspicions.

I play bass in a swampy blues band. I love to sing and don't let my voice get in the way.

I am intelligent but not sensible. I am polite but inappropriate. I am passionate but fearful. I am honest but reticent. I am neither stylish enough nor scruffy enough to be cool.

~ Find The Author At ~  Website | Twitter | Goodreads | Facebook | Amazon


CHECK IT OUT
CHECK IT OUT

                
CHECK IT OUT
CHECK IT OUT

CHECK IT OUT
CHECK IT OUT
               
CHECK IT OUT

CHECK IT OUT

CHECK IT OUT
CHECK IT OUT

             
CHECK IT OUT
CHECK IT OUT


~ Find Sportochick At ~


2 comments:

  1. I so very much enjoyed your questions, Teri, and I thank you for making me think outside the square a little! It's always an honor to be here with, and I greatly appreciate the opportunity. You go above and beyond in your work with authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Willsin for the compliments and I really love sharing authors with the world.

      Delete